OSEB – Eligibility
Eligibility for the Ontario Self-Employment Benefit Program
To qualify for the self-employment benefit program, you must meet the following criteria: *
- Be unemployed.
- Have an established Employment Insurance (EI) Claim; or have had an EI claim that has ended within the preceding 36 months; or are re-entering the labour force after having left it to care for newborn or newly adopted children. This individual must have a benefit period that began within the last 60 months during which they were paid maternity or parental benefits.
- Be legally entitled to work in Canada.
- Be able to participate in an entrepreneurial training program prior to starting the business.
- Agree to provide a business plan acceptable to the co-ordinator of the program and MTCU, showing potential for long term self-employment.
- Be able to contribute equity, a minimum of $4,442.00 in cash, equipment, vehicles, and real estate. Verification of the business assets may be reviewed by MTCU.
- Start a new business or take over an existing business in which you had no prior ownership.
- Agree to work full-time on your business while you receive financial assistance.
- To remain eligible for Employment Insurance while your proposal is being considered, you must make an effort to find work and you cannot start your business until your contract has been signed.
- Meet the environmental criteria as outlined by MTCU.
To receive a French language version of the OSEB brochure information, download here.
Trenval’s OSEB Program includes participants from the following areas:
Cities of Belleville & Quinte West; Southwest to Ameliasburgh, Carrying Place, Consecon; West to Brighton; North to Warkworth, Hastings, Campbellford; Northeast to north of Marmora, Madoc, Tweed; Southeast to Deseronto; West to Tyendinaga
Ready to hear more about the OSEB program? Here’s where to begin.
* Note: Readers are cautioned that this information is a synopsis of legislation. Specific details should be obtained from the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities, Employment Ontario, Ontario Self-Employment Benefit
June 29, 2013 Trenval Welcomes New Executive Director